Sunday, August 1, 2010

August 1st in my garden

Sharing some of today's sights from my garden. It's amazing how rapidly things change. Creatures come and go. Some things thrive and others wither.

I'm not fond of garden ornaments. Except for skulls.



This white clematis was here before I. Given the preference of "old lady colors" by previous owners here, I was worried. I was very happy to see it produce beautiful classic white blossoms. There is something about thick white flower petals that makes me swoon.



Grandpa Nick's beans will be up to the roof in no time. On the south side of the house, this is a great way to grow food AND keep the house cool in July and August.



Twelve tomato plants and I don't even know how many squash. I feel positively wealthy!



These curious things recently appeared on a tomato cage. I'm dying to know the story here. Any entomologists out there know what these are? I'm suspecting some type of wasp reproduction.



I promise not to post too many flower photos, but sometimes I just can't help myself. I wonder if the five-pointed star formation continues to the inner structure when the tomato forms.


Sweet surprise to get a few berries off of my newly planted raspberry canes. I wasn't expecting anything from them this year.



Mmm. Beets.


I've got a soft spot for this little deer fern. I bought it early in the spring when it was dormant. Stokes me to see it growing!



I think it might be a liverwort, but I will have to check with the authority on it. I found it in the midst of a very soggy February hike—it had fallen from a cliff wall down onto the trail in the Gorge—and brought it home. I really wasn't expecting it to make it, but it is thriving on the north side of the house.



Old-lady colors. The scabiosas are troopers, pushing out blooms all summer long What a great cheerful summer plant.



Remnants of creatures long since passed.


I LOVE these poppies. They are so lively and delicate, fluttering in the lightest the breeze.



The witch hazel is an early-winter bloomer. Oddly it is blooming again now. Is this normal? I will find out.


Thanks for coming and being a garden gawker too.

No comments:

Post a Comment