Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tuesday on Mississippi Street

Tuesday was another vacation day. I took the opportunity to stroll Mississippi Street. Had a very nice dish of fresh mint flake ice cream at Ruby Jewel, perused Rebuilder's, and stopped in at one of my favorite nurseries, Pistils.

I see these droopy conifers around town. I love their Dr. Seuss character. Sometimes they seem a bit lost and searching for something to hang on to. This is a great use for them—perfectly suited to their form. Wonderful textural pairing here with the passion vine. Isolated arbor vitae add nice vertical contrast.







Pistils Nursery is a special place.

Deer ferns. They have such great form.

Unsuspecting visitors might be caught unaware by the odd noises coming from the corners. After many years in the Bay Area, I automatically think "Uh oh. Weirdo lurking." But no, it's just chickens!


Beautiful bouquet of food blossoms: corn, onion, and squash.

I have a lovely star eyed grass, like these one, in my front yard. There are northwest native varieties. Great plant.

Carnivores! I just love the fact that there are plants that eat "meat".

A bat house. Very cool. As you may know, there is a terrible disease, white-nose syndrome, destroying bat populations in the eastern U.S. I do like bats. Maybe I will read up on their needs and create some habitat for them in the yard. On my budget, it's probably a DIY project though!



What's this in the fertilizer bin?



No comments:

Post a Comment