Friday, September 10, 2010

Powell Butte

Powell Butte is a mess. Invasive weeds everywhere! It really needs help. Last Monday was an unusually beautiful day. Here are a few highlights.

I adore this grass. I really hope it isn't another nasty invasive.

Dreamy clouds. I just look at them and I feel like I am floating too.


Queen Anne's Lace, Daucus carota, is my favorite weed. It's in the carrot family. According to Wikipedia, the root of young plants are edible, however it is very similar in appearance to Poison Hemlock, so maybe not a good subject for foraging unless you really know your plants.

The origin of the name: Sometimes there is a red blossom in the center of the cluster. Although Wikipedia says it represents a drop of blood from where Queen Anne poked her finger while making lace, knowing the fashion of the times, and that Queen Anne was an unfortunate wife of Henry the VIII who met her death by beheading, we see a different interpretation.


Tolmiea menziesii, Golden Piggy Back plant. I have one of these cuties in my garden. These look very healthy. Mine is a bit faded. Maybe it needs more shade and water. A good Oregon winter should perk it right up.

My Nikon D80 has some bugs, but it does amazing for shots like these. This is straight from the camera with no correction.

No comments:

Post a Comment